Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A nice day of riding... not driving...

Well, I stopped by a parts store to talk to them about parts and we'll see what they get me tomorrow morning. From what I understand, most people think that the caliper must have frozen, quite possibly at some point on the trail(most likely at a particular spot at which I will show you later) and just ground my brake pad in to the rotor and killed it. So, that makes me feel better that maybe it was something that I couldn't have necessarily prevented before leaving on the trip. Because I don't feel that I ride my brakes hard under normal conditions. But on these trails... they get a HUGE workout. Just got stuck from heating up and going through water crossing... never the less, it's something that has to be fixed before I head home. And will get fixed. Plenty of great and knowledgeable guys here that can and will help me out.

So, with no chance of wheeling, and having missed the 8am caravan out(not because I overslept but because I was at the shops and part stores till after it was too late), I bumped into a guy and his dad that we had met up with in Amarillo from Florida. Cool guys. Bumped into them at Burger King when I was getting breakfast. I was just going to hang around Moab and check things out (which doesn't take too long). These guys were planning a trip to CanyonLands National Park and invited me to ride along. We had a great time. Got along great. Saw alot of neat sights and did a little offroading through the park. Went down some switchbacks and right up next to cliffs and canyons(hence the name...). Saw some Indian writings. Just got back around 5pm. Long day out.
And yes, yesterday was the hardest offroading I have ever done.
Here is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. There was no bypass around this...


Look so so? Maybe not too bad? Check out this picture of the guy who went before me from a better angle...



There was a good size drop off to the passenger side about a foot... maaaaybe 2 foot from where the tires land. (pictures don't do it justice) And when I say "land".. I mean you just about, no no, you definitely nose dive the front down, the slooooowly pull forward and let the back drop down. No damage though.. well... except probably the brakes. Except that I didn't notice any problem till a good ways down the trail. Anyway, so, that's the most exciting offroad obstacle to date. Anyway, another shot with me in it. Well I've got to go grab some supper. Nissan is buying us all "Zak's Pizza". The guys I rode with today said they ate there last night and probably would be finding something different tonight... so... we'll see if it's any good.

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

Will try to call later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home